For many, a visit to the doctor or the dentist isn’t something we look forward to and may be something we avoid all together! Preventive care and regular visits to your doctor and dentist are an important part of self-care. Preemptively visiting your health care provider helps you live a healthier life. Regular check-ins, annual physicals and biometric screenings can help find potential health issues early or before they become a bigger problem.
6 Reasons for Regular Check-Ins:
- Prevention and, hopefully, early intervention. For example, getting your blood sugar levels checked annually means if your levels were to creep up, you can manage your diabetes risk before being diagnosed.
- Building trust and rapport. If something were to go wrong with your health, you want to have a baseline of trust built with the person overseeing your care. Having a trusting, professional relationship with your providers will hopefully empower you to better advocate for your care.
- Peace of mind. We all have used Dr. Internet to diagnose our aches and pains, but at the end of the day having a thorough medical examination with all of the proper tests will help accurately diagnose any ailments.
- To establish a baseline and health risk. Maybe you have gained a few pounds, but has that been over a few months or a few years. Your doctor and medical team will be able to look at trends to determine health risk. They can also help you come up with a game plan to minimize that risk.
- You don’t have to live with undiagnosed pain. Having a supportive medical team means they can help you work through why you have pain or discomfort.
- Dental health is linked to overall health. Did you know that gum disease is linked to an increased risk of developing heart disease? Take care of those pearly whites and your heart will thank you.
Show yourself some self-care and schedule that appointment you’ve been putting off. Your health and well-being deserve it.